Real Estate Marketing Specialists

A Carbon Monoxide Detector Could Save Your Life

A Carbon Monoxide Detector Could Save Your Life

Home Safety Tips from the Home Inspector:
A Carbon Monoxide Detector Could Save Your Life

Question:

What is Carbon Monoxide and why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Answer:
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and potentially dangerous gas produced when fuel burns without enough air for complete combustion. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea, coughing, irregular breathing, paleness and cherry red lips and ears.If symptoms are noticed, it is advised that you immediately open windows and doors to ventilate the home or structure, call 911 and get outside into fresh air. Later, have appliances checked carefully by a qualified heating contractor.

Purchase and install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home and near sleeping areas, in rooms over or near a garage, in the basement or other isolated area, and in rooms where space heaters are used. Detectors that have been verified by Underwriters Laboratory (UL) and have been manufactured after October 1995 conform to minimum alarm requirements. Those marked UL 2034 or IAS 6–96 have met the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines. Follow the directions for installing and using the detector carefully.

To help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Have your chimney and flue cleaned every year.
  • Get a qualified inspector to check appliances and heating systems each year.
  • Be sure all home appliances have adequate ventilation.
  • Don’t rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, furnaces or chimneys.
  • Be sure burner flames in appliances and heating systems are blue, not orange.
  • Never use a gas range for space heating.
  • Never run an automobile or gasoline engine in an enclosed space.
  • Never use a charcoal grill indoors.

Thanks for this helpful guest post from our favorite home inspector!

David Goldberg  –  Home Inspector
phone:  301-913-9213
Reliable Home Services, Inc.
ASHI Member #101584 
MD License #29322


Chris & Karen Highland 
eXp Realty – 301-401-5119
888-860-7369

Summary
A Carbon Monoxide Detector Could Save Your Life
Article Name
A Carbon Monoxide Detector Could Save Your Life
Description
Homeowner Question: What is Carbon Monoxide and why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Detector? Because it could save your life. Carbon monoxide (CO) odorless, colorless, and undetectable to the human nose.
Author
Publisher
Chris Highland with eXp Realty
Image

Leave a reply

Google Analytics Alternative