Frederick has received numerous awards over the last decade, and has been recognized many times for it’s livability and beauty.
The American Planning Association (APA) has a program called “Great Places in America”, where they recognize communities with “better choices for where and how people work and live.” These communities have features that involved planning for accessibility, community involvement, and good use of streets, neighborhoods and public spaces.
Congratulations to all those who had the vision and stick-to-it-ness to make Frederick such a lovely place to live.
Frederick has previously received recognition for its thoughtful planning and livability.
- In 2014 Frederick was number 6 on the list of “10 Best Downtowns” by Livability.
- Frederick was on CNN’s list of “America’s Best Small Town Comebacks” in 2013
- Named One of America’s 12 “Prettiest Painted Places” in 2012.
- Great Places in America: Neighborhoods; 2010 List
- It received the “Great American Main Street Award” in 2005,
- It was named one of the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s “Distinct Destinations” in 2002.
- It was designated in 2001 as a “Main Street Maryland Community”, one of only two in Maryland to receive…
- The Great American Main Street Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation
In the mid-70’s the downtown area was flooded by Carroll Creek in the aftermath of a tropical storm. It took years of planning and investment to build the Carroll Creek Linear Park, which had it’s grand opening in 2006. The last segment of the park is finally underway, after a pause of several years during the economic downturn. The downtown Frederick area has seen revitalization from the opening of the Linear Park. Read more about the Carroll Creek Linear Park.
The Carroll Creek Park has created a beautiful area for public events and celebrations all through the year. First Saturdays, summer concerts, movie night on the creek, Art Festivals and live music are just a few of the fun events the residents enjoy. Downtown Frederick has a lovely Historic District with great restaurants, unique shops, art galleries and a growing theater district. The revitalization has created a destination location for people from all over the region.
It looks like the APA has discovered what 65,000 Frederick residents already know…Frederick Maryland is a great place to live:)
Enjoy our slideshow of beautiful downtown Frederick Md:
To see homes for sale in Frederick or Surrounding Counties, use our free property search:
The Highland Group
Chris & Karen Highland
eXp Realty – 410-777-5714