The Best of the Week
Real Estate News of the Week – Dec. 20th Edition:
- Merry Christmas for Short Sellers and Homeowners with MIP
The Real Estate news during the week included some good happenings for those who have or are facing a possible short sale. The Senate passed some bills that extended some tax breaks that were due to expire. President Obama is expected to sign the bill into law, enabling the tax breaks retroactively through Dec. 31, 2014.
Read an explanation of the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief on Inman News
Distressed homeowners who have been forgiven the mortgage debt are still protected from paying taxes on that amount.
Also: Homeowners can continue to deduct mortgage insurance premiums.
- New Technologies for Homeowners:
This article by Placester was written for real estate agents, 10 Smart Home Products Real Estate Agents Should Know…so now that we know…we think homeowners will love these products, from smart thermostats, moisture sensors, and several home automation tools, home technologies are making our lives easier.
“70% of Consumers want to be able to use mobile devices to control one or more aspects of their homes. – Lowe’s Study”
- Home Sales in 2014
As the end of 2014 approaches, we’re seeing more year-end reviews of real estate. Here is an interesting infographic from Keeping Current Matters, showing the increase in home sales as homes get more expensive:
This is a complete turn-around from last year, where we saw luxury home prices still soft.
- Stocks are UP,
- Oil is DOWN, According to Jason Turner, Loan Consultant here in Maryland, Virginia and D.C., Low Oil Prices Push Down Mortgage Rates
- But not to worry green-fans, Cheap Oil hasn’t slowed Solar Growth, so go ahead with those plans for solar panels on the roof.
- If you recently used a credit card at Staples…check your account: 1.16 Credit Cards Compromised by Hackers
- Cuban Cigars may soon be a reality again. The big political news this week: Obama makes moves to normalize relations with Cuba.
Best of the Best:
Related to Real Estate? Not at all. However, Hershey Park Chocolate Factory is 84 miles from Frederick Maryland, 1 hour 31 minutes…
Who wants to come with?!