Table of Contents
🏖Welcome to Summer in Frederick Maryland!
Summer is a beautiful time in Frederick County, and there are lots of things to do, as Frederick is open again! I think everyone is ready to celebrate the 4th of July, as well as the laid back summer we love to enjoy in our beautiful county. What to do? Let’s start with just 20 fun events:
July 4th Celebrations in Frederick County
Frederick City will hold a Free Fireworks display at the Great Frederick Fairgounds, 797 E. Patrick Street on July 4th, 2021. The usual location at Baker Park has been changed to the Frederick Fairgrounds to allow for recommended social distancing.
Inside the Fairgrounds, there will be a grand event hosted by WFRE 99.0 Radio, with live music, food and events. The cost of entry is $50. Gates open at 4 pm.
NOTE: the Fireworks are free, the event inside the gates is not. Check the Celebrate Frederick website for details.
The following areas are for free parking to view the fireworks display.
- Lot A – E. Patrick Street across from Gate 1; Lot entrance off Franklin Street (Opens at 7 PM)
- Lot C – Highland Street (Opens at 7 PM)
- Lot E – Highland Street (Opens at 7 PM)
- Infield Lot – Accessed via Gate 3 (Overflow Lot | Opens at 8:15 PM if needed)
NOTE – Lot B, Highland Avenue, is within the fire line for the fireworks display and is not available for parking!
According to the Frederick Newspost:
Walkersville Volunteer Fire Co. will hold their 81st annual carnival is on, scheduled for July 5 to 10, with food, games, rides and entertainment, and fireworks on July 9.
The Guardian Hose Co.’s Thurmont Firemen’s Carnival will be from July 6 to 10, with rides and amusements, but there will be no parade.
The Jefferson Ruritan Club is planning its annual carnival for July 26 to 31, with rides, entertainment, food service and nightly entertainment.
Downtown Frederick Events
First Saturday in Frederick: This Saturday, July 4th, downtown Frederick will be open with lots of events, live music, sales, and specials. There will be eight different live music venues, between 2 pm and 9 pm all around downtown. Learn more on the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
🏞The Great Outdoors
- Go Outdoors. Hike, walk, or stroll in any of Frederick County’s beautiful parks. Swim, sunbathe or fish in any of our parks or pools. You can find lots of activities in the Frederick County Recreater and the Frederick City Parks and Recreation Guide.- Baker Park Pool, 301-663-5666,
– Diggs Memorial Pool, 301-600-6364,
– Hood College Pool, 301-696-3484,
– Brunswick Pool – 301-834-7567
- Frederick has several city parks, including Baker Park, which has several ball fields, tennis courts, a city pool, playgrounds and picnic areas. An amphitheater is the location of summer concerts and outdoor theater.
- Frederick is close to several state parks: Cunningham Falls State Park, South Mountain State Battlefield, and Gathland, Greenbrier (with its 42-acre man-made lake and beach), and Gambrill State Parks.
- National parks include Monocacy National Battlefield, Catoctin Mountain Park, Applalachian National Scenic Trail, the C & O Canal, (check out the C & O Canal Bicycling Guide) and Antietam National Battlefield.
- Around Frederick, you can enjoy several outdoor activities:
– Frederick Bicycle Loop, a self-guided tour through the City of Frederick, download the brochure.
- Rafting, Tubing and Kayaking: River & Trail Outfitters, River Riders Inc., Harpers Ferry Adventure Center.
🛍Eat and Shop
- Dining in the Street…every 4th Saturday until August 28, 2021, Market Street is closed to vehicle traffic and tables are set up in the street for outdoor dining. Eating out in our city is a treat, as Frederick is known as a foodie paradise! Add shopping for a winning combination. There are many unique restaurants and shopping venues in downtown Frederick, as well as all over town.
- Don’t miss your favorite food truck! Visit Frederick website has a handy list of food trucks, not to mention wineries, breweries, distilleries and events.
- Go to a Keys game. The Keys are our own hometown Triple A Ball Team. They play several nights a week at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Fireworks follow what is always a good time. The Keys game schedule can be found on their website.
- Walking tours and ghost tours are a fun way to explore downtown Frederick.
- Enjoy music of all genres. There are several concert series all summer long:
– Wednesdays at Westview – Concerts on the Promenade
– Sunday Night Concerts in the Baker Park Amphitheater
– Alive @ Five – Thursday nights on Carroll Creek
- Visit the Farmers Market. There are several farmers markets around Frederick and in every town in Frederick County.
– Frederick City Market in the Old Carmack Jay parking lot at 331 N. Market Street, open Sunday’s 9 am to 1 pm.
– Everedy Square & Shab Row Farmer’s Market, Thursday’s 3 to 6 pm.
-Frederick Farmers Market, 1215 W. Patrick Street, Saturdays 10 am to 1 pm.
– Lake Linganore Farmer’s Market, Thursdays 4 to 7 pm.
-Baker Park, Key City Farmer’s Market, 11 am to 1:30 pm.
-Field Fresh Farmer’s Market, The Great Frederick Fair Grounds, Saturdays, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm starting June 21.
– Thurmont Farmer’s Market open on Saturdays, 9 am to noon
- – I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s great!
- If you are the DIY type, like me, there are several orchards and farms where you can pick your own. The blueberries are in season right now!
– Sycamore Spring Farm, 6003 Elmer Derr Road, Frederick
– Catoctin Mountain Orchard, 15036 N. Franklinville Road, Thurmont
– Pryor’s Orchards, 13841 Pryor Road, Thurmont
– Gladelink Farms, 12270 Woodsboro Pike, Keyman
– Rock Hill Orchard, 28600 Ridge Road, Mt. Airy
Fun In and Around Frederick County
- History buffs will be happy to know there are several museums in Frederick, where learning is fun. The Rose Hill Manor Park has several living history events for the entire family. The Civil War Medical Museum and the Frederick County History Museum have lots of events.
- The Sky Stage is open again, with music and entertainment. The Summer Nights Jazz Festival is on the 4th Saturday until August 28th.
- Alive @ Five at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater, Thursday evenings.
- Catoctin Mountain Wildlife Preserve and Zoo is always a fun and educational place. It’s a great place to have a party or book a group. They also love having volunteers.
- Family Movie Night on the Creek. On Carroll Creek in downtown Frederick, the 3rd Friday June through October.
- Summerfest Family Theater in Baker Park, weekly on Thursdays, 1o am. See details on the Celebrate Frederick website.
- The summer concert series returns to Baker Park with live music every Sunday evening.
- Visit the Earth & Space Science Lab at 210 Madison Street. Children and adults will enjoy planetarium shows and the arboretum.
About Frederick MD
- Learn more about Frederick Maryland Living
- Things to Do in the Historic District
- Things to Do in Frederick Md
Pin for Later Reference: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4292562135531980
Find Out What Your Home is Worth (takes 15 seconds)
Need A Real Estate Agent in Your City? We Can Refer a Great Agent!