December is not far away. It may seem early, but often holiday events sell out early, so it’s good to know what is coming up. The holidays are the most charming times in Frederick Maryland. The trees downtown are decked with sparkling lights, the shops have fun Christmas displays in the windows, and the charm of shopping is complete with lots of fun activities to enjoy in and around Frederick:
🎅Holiday Events in Frederick Md 2023
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every month in downtown Frederick, the first Saturday of the month is a themed event full of music, fun and special activities. Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday”! The month is themed “Holiday Nights”, with each Saturday full of nights of shopping and dining.
There will be sales, food and beer & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live music. Kids of all ages will enjoy free hot cocoa and marshmallow roasting. December 2nd, 9th, and 16th, and 23rd. Parking downtown is free. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership website for details.)
While you’re downtown, don’t miss the beautiful boats in the creek. This is the fifth year of “Sailing through the Winter Solstice.” You can vote for your favorite and contribute to the Friends of Carroll Creek, and other local charities here: Color on the Creek
Enjoy Holiday Light Displays
Where to find holiday light displays in and around Frederick County? Check out our page. Are you on Nextdoor? The social media site has a user populated map throughout the year with homes that have Christmas lights, or homes that are giving out candy for Halloween. It’s a nice feature of the site.
Holiday Arts in Frederick
- Holiday Art Competition at Delaplaine. Nov. 29 through Dec. 30. Arts & Crafts Expo.
- Christmas with the Frederick Chorale, St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Dec 3, and 4. And at the Baker Creek Bandshell as part of the Kris Kringle Procession, December 8th.
- Way Off Broadway, Jingle All the Way, Nov. 25 through Dec. 23, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Nov. 3 – 11. Santa Claus the Musical, Dec. 2 through 23.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: My Father the Elf, Inebriated Holiday, A Christmas Carol.
- At the Weinberg: Tuba Christmas, A Chanticleer Christmas, Sara Evans Christmas Show, A Motown Christmas, the Polar Express (2004 film)The Nutcracker Ballet, Bah Humbug, A Christmas Carol, Irish Christmas in America (sold out), The Annual Messiah Sing-Along, Eric Byrd Trio – A Charlie Brown Christmas, and more.
- Frederick Community College: Handbell Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, String Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble I, Big Band Holidays.
Holiday Fun For Frederick Kids
- Earth & Space Science Lab, Mystery of the Christmas Star, 210 Madison St. Frederick, Md.
- Kris Kringle Procession, Fri. Dec. 8, 6:30 – 7:30 pm.
- Scents and Sweets Competition & Auction, Nov. 30, 121 N. Bentz St.
- Santa Trains, Walkersville Southern Railroad.
- Adventure Park USA, Breakfast with Santa & the Grinch, Family New Year’s Celebration, Dec. 31st.
- Super Secret Elf Workshop, Delaplaine Arts Center, Dec. 2nd
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 7. 10 am to 3 pm. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- Green Meadows Farm presents: Santa’s Farm Fest, Dec. 2-3, 9-10. (Free pics with Santa!)
- Jingle Bell and Santa Stroll, Brunswick, Dec. 2. Bring two canned goods for the food pantry.
See more kid-friendly activities in and around Frederick throughout the year.
For Frederick History Buffs:
- Candlelight Ghost Tours, downtown Frederick. Friday’s and Saturday’s.
- Frederick County Public Library events: Music, Stories, Arts & Crafts, STEM Lab, games and more.
- Festival if Lights, Dec. 16, 7 pm. City Hall Courtyard.
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 3rd
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec 9th, various times.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 2. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, The Antietam Memorial Illumination volunteers annually light 23,110 candles on the battlefield, for the 23,110 soldiers who died. Dec. 2.
Supporting Frederick Non-Profits During the Holidays
Are you looking for a way to volunteer? Volunteer Match is a website to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Christmas Cash for Kids, everyday on WFMD, 930 AM
- Toys for Tots Facebook page, Various locations.
- Holidays on the Farm, Dec. 3, 11 am to 2 pm. Rose Hill Manor. THIS EVENT IS FULL. There is a waiting list.
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
- Key 103 Radio Community Events Page
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec. 2, 10 am to 4 pm, Village of Catoctin Furnace, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd, Thurmont.
- Christmas in New Market, Dec 2. Main Street New Market.
- Pop-up Holiday Market, Brunswick Dec. 2.
- Westview Promenade. Visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, Dec. 9th
- Murder Mystery Dinner Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad.
🎆Celebrate New Year’s in and Around Frederick
New Year’s Eve
- Hogmanny Scottish Celebration, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department
- New Year’s Eve in Brunswick, Square Corner Park
- Annual New Years Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31, Suspension Bridge over Carroll Creek.
- 2023 Family New Year’s Even Party! Adventure Park USA, 9 pm to 12:30 am.
New Year’s Day Festivities
- January 1 – Freezin’ for a Reason, Take a plunge in the Potomac River, Brunswick, proceeds go to Beacon, the Brunswick Food Bank, and Special Olympics.
- First Day Hike – Gambrill State Park, January 1, 4 to 5 PM
- First Day Hike – Cunningham Falls State Park, January 1, 11 am – 3 pm
- Many restaurants in Frederick have a special New Year’s Eve menu and entertainment.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Holiday events in Frederick MD. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
🎄Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!
More About Frederick Living:
- Best Crabs in Frederick County
- Craft Beer and Microbreweries in Frederick County
- Who Serves Easter Brunch in Frederick MD?
- Mother’s Day Brunch in Frederick County