December has arrived… you know what that means… 23 DAYS LEFT!! Let the Holiday Festivities begin! The Holidays are the most charming times in Frederick Maryland! The lights are on the trees downtown, the charm of shopping is complete with lots of fun activities to enjoy in and around Frederick:
🎅Holiday Events in Frederick Md 2019
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every month in downtown Frederick, the first Saturday of the month is a themed event full of music, fun and special activities. Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday”! The month is themed “Holiday Nights”, with each Saturday full of nights of shopping and dining.
There will be sales! There will be evenings of carriage rides, food and beer & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live entertainment, and sales! Kids of all ages will enjoy free hot cocoa and make-your-own S’mores. Participate in the downtown Frederick Holiday Scavenger Hunt! And there will be sales! 5 pm to 9 pm. December 7th, 14th, and 21st. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details. First Saturday is one of the best holiday events in Frederick MD!
The Trolley will be running every 15 minutes, with the following stops:
- Little Pottery Shop | 117 N East St
- Delaplaine Arts Center | 40 S Carroll St
- Patrick Street Stop | 33 E Patrick St
- Brewer’s Alley | 124 N Market St
- Bravura Arts and Framing | 428 N Market St
While you’re downtown, don’t miss the beautiful boats in the creek. This is the fourth year of “Sailing through the Winter Solstice.” You can vote for your favorite and contribute to the Friends of Carroll Creek, and other local charities here: Color on the Creek
Holiday Arts in Frederick
- Holiday Art Competition at Delaplaine. Dec. 4th. Arts & Crafts Expo.
- Christmas with the Frederick Chorale, St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Dec 8, and 9.
- Way Off Broadway, Stage Door Christmas through Dec. 21st, Elf Jr. the Musical, and Breakfast with Santa.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: A Christmas Carol, Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! , The Ultimate Christmas Show.
- At the Weinberg: The Nutcracker Ballet, A Christmas Carol, Monty Python’s The Life of Brian, Deanna Bogart, John Denver Christmas with Chris Collins and Boulder Canyon, It’s a Wonderful Life, The 25th Annual Messiah Sing-Along, and more.
- Frederick Community College: The Choral Arts Society of Frederick – Winter Concert, The Spires Brass Band Christmas Concert, Winter Winds and Brass, FCC’s String Ensemble, Winter Serenades.
- Holidays at Hood, Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Hood College. Ensemble Concerts, and Chamber Singers.
- Performing Arts Factory – Frosty the Snowman
Holiday Fun For Frederick Kids
- Earth & Space Science Lab, Dinosaurs Alive!, 210 Madison St. Frederick, Md.
- Kris Kringle Procession, Fri. Dec. 13, 6:30 pm.
- Scents and Sweets Competition, Dec. 5, and Auction, 121 N. Bentz St.
- Santa Trains, Walkersville Southern Railroad.
- Adventure Park USA, Breakfast with Santa & Friends, Family New Year’s Celebration, Dec. 31st.
- Story Time with Mrs. Clause. See all of the Library Events.
- Super Secret Elf Workshop, Delaplaine Arts Center, Dec. 7th
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 7. 10 am to 3 pm. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- Breakfast with Santa, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department, Dec. 8th. 7-11.
- Green Meadows Farm presents: Santa’s Farm Fest, Dec. 7th and 8th, 1 pm to 5 pm. (Free pics with Santa!)
For Frederick History Buffs:
- Candlelight Ghost Tours, downtown Frederick. Friday’s and Saturday’s.
- Frederick County Public Library events: Music, Stories, Arts & Crafts, STEM Lab, games and more.
- Festival of Trees, starts Nov. 29 – Dec. 15. Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St. Frederick
- Festival if Lights, Dec. 20.
- Candlelight House Tour, December 7 and 8.
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec 14th, 12 pm to 7 pm.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 7th. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield, for the 23,000 soldiers who died. Dec. 7th.
Supporting Frederick Non-Profits During the Holidays
Are you looking for a way to volunteer? Volunteer Match is a website to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Giving Tuesday, Frederick Community College Foundation, Nov. 27th.
- Christmas Cash for Kids, everyday on WFMD, 930 AM
- Toys for Tots, Westview Shopping Center, Dec. 9th.
- Harvester Holiday, Dec. 17, 11 am to 2 pm. Rose Hill Manor. Visit with Santa, ride a tractor-drawn wagon through downtown Frederick. Train display, crafts and shopping. Support local Charities.
- COIPP Silent Auction (Children of Incarcerated Parents) McClintock Distillery, December 3rd.
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
- Jingle Bell Run/Santa Stroll, Dec. 7, Historic Downtown Brunswick. Costume judging, hot cocoa, tree-lighting, an entire day of fun. Bring canned goods for the Brunswick Food Bank.
- Jingle Ball and Benefit, benefits the Oasis Center Madrid, Dec. 7th.
- Maryland Event Calendar for Walking, Running, Cycling, etc.
- Key 103 Radio Community Events Page
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Hello Holidays: Events at the Public Library
- Holiday Open House, Thorpewood Lodge, Dec. 14, 2 – 8 pm.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec. 7th, 10 am to 4 pm, Village of Catoctin Furnace, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd, Thurmont.
- The Christmas Story in Word and Song, in New Market, Dec 14th. Main Street New Market. Christmas Bingo, Dec. 13th, and 15th.
- Pop-up Holiday Market, Brunswick through Dec. 22nd.
- Hometown Holidays, Brunswick Dec.14.
- Museums by Candlelight Tour, Dec. 14th. Main St. Middletown.
- Westview Promenade. Visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, Dec. 14th, and Toys for Tots.
- Murder Mystery Dinner Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad.
- Festival of Lights, Dec. 20th, 7 pm. City Hall Courtyard
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 7,8. A self-guided walking tour through various Downtown Frederick homes.
- Holiday Carriage Rides in Downtown Frederick, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, afternoons and evenings. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492, or check the website for dates and rates.
🎆Celebrate New Year’s in and Around Frederick
New Year’s Eve
- Hogmanny Scottish Celebration, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department
- 15th Annual Scottish First Footing, New Year’s Eve in Brunswick, Square Corner Park
- Myersville Rock & Country New Year’s Even Celebration.
- 7th Annual New Years Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31, Suspension Bridge over Carroll Creek.
- The 2nd Annual 30 and Over 2019 New Years Eve Hotel Party
- 2019 Family New Year’s Even Party! Adventure Park USA, 9 pm to 12:30 am.
January First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for January’s First Saturday (Jan. 4th) is “Afterglow”, a time to relax after the Holidays. Takes place from 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Luminaries along Market Street
- Trolley Rides
- Wine Tastings
- Live Music
- Gallery Openings
- Store Specials
- More info at Downtown Frederick Partnership
New Year’s Day Festivities
- January 1 – Freezin’ for a Reason, Take a plunge in the Potomac River, Brunswick, proceeds go to Beacon, the Brunswick Food Bank, and Special Olympics.
- First Day Hike – Gambrill State Park, January 1, 4 to 5 PM
- First Day Hike – Cunningham Falls State Park, January 1, 11 am – 3 pm
- Many restaurants in Frederick have a special New Year’s Eve menu and entertainment.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Holiday events in Frederick MD. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
🎄Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!
More About Frederick Living:
- Best Crabs in Frederick County
- Craft Beer and Microbreweries in Frederick County
- Who Serves Easter Brunch in Frederick MD?
- Mother’s Day Brunch in Frederick County