December has arrived… you know what that means… 24 DAYS LEFT! The Holidays are the most charming times in Frederick Maryland. The lights are on the trees downtown, the shops have fun Christmas displays in the windows, and the charm of shopping is complete with lots of fun activities to enjoy in and around Frederick:
🎅Holiday Events in Frederick Md 2022
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every month in downtown Frederick, the first Saturday of the month is a themed event full of music, fun and special activities. Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday”! The month is themed “Holiday Nights”, with each Saturday full of nights of shopping and dining.
There will be sales, food and beer & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live music. Kids of all ages will enjoy free hot cocoa and marshmallow roasting. December 3rd, 10th, and 17th, and 24th. Parking downtown is free. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership website for details.
While you’re downtown, don’t miss the beautiful boats in the creek. This is the fifth year of “Sailing through the Winter Solstice.” You can vote for your favorite and contribute to the Friends of Carroll Creek, and other local charities here: Color on the Creek
Holiday Arts in Frederick
- Holiday Art Competition at Delaplaine. Nov. 30 through Dec. 31. Arts & Crafts Expo.
- Christmas with the Frederick Chorale, St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Dec 4, and 5.
- Way Off Broadway, Countdown to Christmas through Dec. 23, The Elves Who Saved Christmas.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: A Christmas Carol, Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! , Miss Bennet Christmas at Pemberley.
- At the Weinberg: The Nutcracker Ballet, Bah Humbug, John Denver Christmas with Chris Collins and Boulder Canyon, Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins, The Annual Messiah Sing-Along, and more.
- Frederick Community College: The Choral Arts Society of Frederick – Winter Concert, The Spires Brass Band Christmas Concert, Winds and Brass, FCC’s String Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble.
- Holidays at Hood, String Ensemble, Hood College.
- Performing Arts Factory – Jr. Claus
Holiday Fun For Frederick Kids
- Earth & Space Science Lab, Mystery of the Christmas Star, 210 Madison St. Frederick, Md.
- Kris Kringle Procession, Fri. Dec. 9, 6:30 – 7:30 pm.
- Scents and Sweets Competition & Auction, Dec. 1, 121 N. Bentz St.
- Santa Trains, Walkersville Southern Railroad.
- Adventure Park USA, Breakfast with Santa & Friends, Family New Year’s Celebration, Dec. 31st.
- Story Time with Mrs. Clause. See all of the Library Events.
- Super Secret Elf Workshop, Delaplaine Arts Center, Dec. 4th
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 7. 10 am to 3 pm. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- Breakfast with Santa, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department, Dec. 11th. 7-11.
- Cowboy Christmas, Tractor Supply Co. Dec. 10, 2022, 10 AM – 3 PM
- Green Meadows Farm presents: Santa’s Farm Fest, Dec. 3, 4, 10, and 11, 1 pm to 5 pm. (Free pics with Santa!)
For Frederick History Buffs:
- Candlelight Ghost Tours, downtown Frederick. Friday’s and Saturday’s.
- Frederick County Public Library events: Music, Stories, Arts & Crafts, STEM Lab, games and more.
- Festival of Trees, starts Nov. 29 – Dec. 15. Heritage Frederick, 24 E. Church St. Frederick, also:
- Retro Elegant Holiday Party, At Heritage Frederick, December 11, from 5 to 8 pm.
- Festival if Lights, Dec. 16, 7 pm. City Hall Courtyard.
- Candlelight House Tour, No tours this year. 🙁
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec 10th, various times.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 3. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield, for the 23,000 soldiers who died. Dec. 3.
Supporting Frederick Non-Profits During the Holidays
Are you looking for a way to volunteer? Volunteer Match is a website to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Christmas Cash for Kids, everyday on WFMD, 930 AM
- Toys for Tots Facebook page, Various locations.
- Holidays on the Farm, Dec. 3, 11 am to 2 pm. Rose Hill Manor. THIS EVENT IS FULL. There is a waiting list.
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
- Breakfast with Santa/Santa Train, Dec. 3, Historic Downtown Brunswick. Bring canned goods for the Brunswick Food Bank.
- Maryland Event Calendar for Walking, Running, Cycling, etc.
- Key 103 Radio Community Events Page
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Holiday Open House, Thorpewood Lodge, Dec. 3 and 4.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec. 3, 10 am to 4 pm, Village of Catoctin Furnace, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd, Thurmont.
- Christmas in New Market, Dec 3. Main Street New Market.
- Pop-up Holiday Market, Brunswick Dec. 3.
- Hometown Holidays, Brunswick Dec. 3.
- Westview Promenade. Visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, Dec. 10th
- Murder Mystery Dinner Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad.
🎆Celebrate New Year’s in and Around Frederick
New Year’s Eve
- Hogmanny Scottish Celebration, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department
- 16th Annual Scottish First Footing, New Year’s Eve in Brunswick, Square Corner Park
- Annual New Years Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31, Suspension Bridge over Carroll Creek.
- Eventbrite list of New Year’s Eve Events in Frederick
- 2022 Family New Year’s Even Party! Adventure Park USA, 9 pm to 12:30 am.
January First Saturday in the Historic District
January’s First Saturday, January 7th, a time to relax after the Holidays and shop local. Takes place from 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Luminaries along Market Street
- Wine Tastings
- Live Music
- Gallery Openings
- Store Specials
- More info at Downtown Frederick Partnership
New Year’s Day Festivities
- January 1 – Freezin’ for a Reason, Take a plunge in the Potomac River, Brunswick, proceeds go to Beacon, the Brunswick Food Bank, and Special Olympics.
- First Day Hike – Gambrill State Park, January 1, 4 to 5 PM
- First Day Hike – Cunningham Falls State Park, January 1, 11 am – 3 pm
- Many restaurants in Frederick have a special New Year’s Eve menu and entertainment.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Holiday events in Frederick MD. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
🎄Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!
More About Frederick Living:
- Best Crabs in Frederick County
- Craft Beer and Microbreweries in Frederick County
- Who Serves Easter Brunch in Frederick MD?
- Mother’s Day Brunch in Frederick County