Homes for Sale in Dickerson Md
Search results for homes for sale in Dickerson Md, listings are updated daily:
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 11/17/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
Homes for sale in Dickerson Md updated daily.
Dickerson Md Demographics:
Dickerson was officially founded in 1871. It was named after its first postmaster, William H. Dickerson, who served from 1873 to 1897. The earliest land grant known to have been given out in the land that is now Dickerson was granted to Arthur Nelson: he received 97 acres (390,000 m2) in 1739. Most of what is now considered Dickerson originally belonged to Nathan Hempstone.
Before the Civil War, Dickerson was little more than a couple roads, a store, and a few houses. After the Civil War, the population began to rise more sharply. This was because after the Civil War, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company were able to continue their hunt for a route to place the Metropolitan Branch. Travelers wanted a way to travel west toward the capital and other places without having to go all the way to Baltimore first. They decided on a route that passed through Dickerson, and began construction. The railroad line going from Dickerson to Point of Rocks, MD was finished in the year 1871; the entire line was open for public use in 1873.
The Monocacy Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The Dickerson Store was originally built for and used as a supply depot for the workers constructing the railroad around 1870. When the railroad was completed, it continued to serve the townspeople and local farmers as a general store. A post office was put in the store in 1891. The store has been moved a total of three times: first in 1890 to allow space for the train station; second, when they widened road in 1910; and last in 1928 when they added a second track to the railroad. It is not currently in use.
The Dickerson Market is located at 22145 Dickerson Rd., Dickerson, MD. It was constructed in 1946, and was originally called Dronenburg’s Store after the family that originally operated it. The Post Office was moved from the Dickerson Store to the Dickerson Market in 1960. The store has exchanged hands several times. It was briefly owned by Arthur Stull (at this time called “Stull’s Grocery”. It then was operated by Robert Thacker, who gave it the name “Dickerson Market”. Now, it is owned by Buck Fowler