Lake Linganore Community Real Estate
Lake Linganore at Eaglehead is Maryland’s largest privately owned lake community. Frederick County’s first Planned Unit Development (PUD), Lake Linganore is community of villages centered around a system of lakes: Lake Linganore, 250 acre-lake, Lake Anita Louise, Lake Merle, and Lake Marion. Linganore Creek forms Lake Linganore at the Linganore Dam, at Eaglehead Drive. The creek runs from the dam, into the Monocacy River. Lake Linganore Homes for Sale is updated daily.
The community was platted in 1968, and was originally designed to be a vacation community. The Brosius brothers, Bill and Lou, designed “new town” with Lake Linganore as the centerpiece. As the community grew, more permanent homeowners bought homes and the community became one of the affordable places to build a new home as early as the 80’s.
Use our Advanced Search to see Homes for Sale in Lake Linganore with neighborhood statistics and demographics
Table of Contents
Lake Linganore Homes for Sale
Follow this link for more homes for sale in the Villages of Lake Linganore at Eaglehead:
- List View
- Map View
See all Homes for Sale in Lake Linganore.
(all data current as of 12/6/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
The Highland family lived in Lake Linganore for 16 years, and raised our 3 boys and daughter (for the most part) there. We lived in Pinehurst Village in a custom cape cod single-family home (before moving into the City of Frederick). Our kids loved the life in Lake Linganore! They loved to tromp through the woods and explore the Indian Caves. We went swimming several times a week throughout the summers and enjoyed the lakes and beaches. Lake Linganore is a beautiful place for kids (and Labrador retrievers) to grow up.
The Villages at Lake Linganore
There are 13 Villages in Lake Linganore at Eaglehead:
- Summerfield is located off of Boyers Mill Road, with single-family homes and townhomes. Summerfield pool is at the entrance to the village. Deer Crossing Elementary is located near the entrance to the village.
- Pinehurst is located near Lake Anita Louise, with single-family homes and two townhouse neighborhoods.
- Lake Anita Louise lies between Anita Louise and Lake Linganore, with single-family homes. Both Pinehurst and Anita Louise have lakefront homes and wooded neighborhoods.
- Westwinds is the furthest east, close to route 75, surrounding Westwinds Golf Course, and Westwinds Golf Club, as well as a swimming pool and indoor tennis courts. The Villas at Westwinds within the community.
- Nightingale is a small single-family village off of Boyers Mill Road, along Lake Linganore, with Nightingale Beach along the shore.
- Coldstream, one of the oldest villages, is located on Lake Linganore, with the Coldstream Beach access and the Lake Linganore Esplanade. Coldstream has single-family homes, many with modern lake architecture, cottage style, as well as Colonial homes. Coldstream pool and community center (with association office) is located at the entrance to the Village.
- Nearby North Shore Village lies next to the lake and you’ll find single-family homes and townhouses built by Jay & Associates.
- Balmoral is a community of single-family homes on the other side of Coldstream, leading to the Meadows,
- The Meadows, single-family homes which lie adjacent to Lake Merle.
- Further beyond Coldstream is Audubon Terrace, you’ll find condominiums and townhouse villas.
- The Village of Aspen has upscale single-family homes with construction requirements that make the median price about $500,000.
- The brand new subdivision of Aspen North has just begun (2016) with two model homes open for tour.
- At the end of Aspen is a small village called The Point, which overlooks the Linganore Dam and Lake Marion.
- To the west of Lake Marion is Woodridge, with a small area of Frank Loyd Wright inspired homes, and a large section of traditional single-family homes.
- There are seven areas of proposed future development, which will mean other villages with distinct styles and character, as well as additions to the current villages.
Living in A State Park
The Villages at Lake Linganore are designed for the nature-lover, with homes that fit into the surrounding landscape, views of woods and lakes, and amenities to take advantage of those surroundings: the Linganore Trail system, over 30 miles of paths and nature trails, boat ramp and boat racks to explore the four lakes in canoes, kayaks and electric-powered boats, enjoy fishing, and three sand beaches. photo credit to: Forsaken Fotos on flickr
Lake Linganore Amenities
Other amenities include: three swimming pools, an 19-hole golf course, playgrounds, picnic areas, basketball courts, volleyball courts, six tennis courts and three sports fields. In the warm weather times residents enjoy a farmer’s market, live music and an outdoor craft and small vendor market.
The community exists on 3700+ acres of land, with 850 acres of open land. Find out more about Lake Linganore at the (LLA) association website. There are several committees, clubs and groups that residents can be involved in, and the website is a great way to stay up with the latest Lake Linganore News.
Schools Serving the Villages of Lake Linganore
|Schools in Frederick County Public School District Great Schools Ratings|
|Oakdale Elementary School||Public||9|
|New Market Elementary School||Public||10|
|Deer Crossing Elementary School||Public||9|
|Oakdale Middle School||Public||10|
|New Market Middle School||Public||9|
|Linganore High School||Public||7|
|Oakdale High School||Public||9|
Deer Crossing Elementary School is the location of Deer Crossing Recreation facility, where many county recreation activities are held.
Native American History
Linganore is home to the mysterious Indian Caves. It is said that “Linganore” gets its name after an Indian chief that once lived on Linganore Creek. Folklore states that this chief lost a left ear during a battle and German settlers referred to him using the German terms ‘linke’ (left) and ‘ohr’ (ear.) Tradition states that “Chief Linganore” was a member of the Susquehanna Indian tribe and died in 1765.
Indian tribes have lived or hunted in Frederick County for 12,000 years, but in more recent history it is thought that primarily the Susquehanna tribe encamped in and around Linganore Creek. In the early 1700s hunting parties would come down from Pennsylvania to camp near Linganore Creek while they hunted game to feed their tribe.
A 600-foot long rock-and-earth-fill dam impounds a 204-acre body of water known as Lake Linganore, named for the larger of the two creeks that feed the lake. Brosius Rock, the boulder located at the corner entrance of the earthen dam, has a carved inscription that dedicates the dam—the Brosius Dam— to J. William Brosius, the father of Eaglehead’s original developers. Incorporated into the design of the Brosius Dam are 11 fountains along the northern wing of the dam area
Lake Linganore Waterways
A 600-foot long rock-and-earth-fill dam forms Lake Linganore. Brosius Rock, the boulder located at the corner entrance of the earthen dam, has a carved inscription that dedicates the dam—the Brosius Dam— to J. William Brosius, the father of Bill and Lou Brosius. Incorporated into the design of the Brosius Dam are 11 fountains along the northern wing of the dam area.
More pictures of Lake Linganore:
photo credit to: Mike Kegley on flickr
photo credit to: Lee Morley on flickr
my photo…where we had Chris’s 30th birthday party:) Lake Linganore Homes for Sale is updated daily. Contact Chris Highland to tour homes for sale in Lake Linganore: