There are some new residential building projects underway, after a few years of a very slow market for new homes. It seems that housing development is returning to Frederick County. New home construction in Frederick Md is reaching levels we haven’t seen in several years.
Table of Contents
- New Homes in the City of Frederick
- New Homes in Frederick County
- Westview South
- Canterbury Station in Frederick City
- New Construction in Zip Code 21704
- New Construction in Zip Code 21703
- New Construction in Zip Code 21702
- New Construction in Zip Code 21701
- New Construction in 21754 Oakdale
- New Construction in 21770 Landsdale
- New Construction in 21716 – Brunswick Crossing
- New Construction in 21755 – Jefferson
- New Homes in 21774 – New Market and Lake Linganore
- New Construction in 21793 – Walkersville
- Custom Home Builders in Frederick County
- Buyer Representation for New Homes
- Additional Resources
- Different States, Different Laws
- Search for New Homes in Frederick County
More than 500 homes are in the plans at Westview South, a new community coming from Mitchell & Best Home Builders, a Rockville Maryland company. Located on Buckeystown Pike, near New Design Road, south of Westview Mall. The community will be a mix of three- and four-level town houses, condominiums and houses, with prices ranging from the low $300,000’s to mid-$400,000’s.
There are 518 approved homes – 122 single-family homes, 178 townhouses and 218 Condos. Construction will begin soon, with models open in the Spring. The homes are not in the city limits, so no city taxes. The community will include a clubhouse and a swimming pool.
Canterbury Station in Frederick City
The future development of as many 300 units can be seen from East Street, and 16th Street. In late 2007, the first stage of a development of 546 homes was partially approved, called Canterbury Station. This phase was to be 144 homes, including townhouses, single-family homes and condominiums.
Two years ago Millennium Resource Engineering finalized the subdivision plat with the City of Frederick, according to city records. The builder is Parkwood Homes.
It appears that Canterbury Station will extend from Fredericktowne Park, around to the area behind Northampton Manor Health Care Facility, possibly as far as the area behind The Banner School. The public schools in the area are North Frederick Elementary, Governor Thomas Johnson Middle School, and Governor Thomas Johnson High School.
As the east side of the City of Frederick starts to see growth and investment, we expect more communities to be developed. The opening of the long-awaited Monocacy Blvd. will allow for more growth.
There are a number of proposed developments in Frederick County that follow the live-work-play concept…that people want to live where they work and socialize, much like life in downtown Frederick.
Ausherman Properties has a plan for luxury apartments at Kemp Hall, which is downtown at 2 E. Church Street. Above The Candy Kitchen there is a huge space in the historic building for several luxury residences.
Worman’s Mill is still building Villa’s. After years of building that community they are in the process of adding The Village Center. It will be a mixed use area with restaurants, retail and apartments on the second floor. They have plans for an assisted-living facility.
New Home Construction Frederick Md
Given the inventory shortage we are experiencing in Frederick Md, new development is seen by most in the real estate industry as a good thing. The housing inventory is currently very LOW. The inventory is very tight, with the best homes going under contract in days. New homes are filling in the demand. New home construction is taking place in many communities throughout Frederick County. In the City of Frederick:
New Construction in Zip Code 21704
- Villages of Urbana – Ryan Homes and NV Homes are building in Townhomes in The Villages. Parkwood Homes is building single-family homes.
- The Frederick County Planning Commission unanimously approved the concept for a site development plan for a Village Center just south of Urbana Elementary School. Casabella, as it stands now, would include development of three buildings. There would be 8,550 square feet of office and retail space and one apartment building, according to staff reports.
- Two communities for over 55 are coming to Urbana: NV Homes is building Active Adult Villas at Boxwood, and Ryan Homes is building The Woodlands Villas. NV Homes is building single-family homes in the Woodlands
- Stone Barn Village: Dan Ryan Towns, Dream Finders Single Family Homes.
- Holly Ridge: Ryan Homes Single Families
- Tallyn Ridge: Dream Finders Townhomes, Drees Single-Family Homes, Miller and Smith singles and towns
New Construction in Zip Code 21703
- Ballenger Creek – Ballenger Run, Ryan Homes is building single-family homes, Townhomes, and Villas.
- West Park: Integrity Homes is building townhomes from the low $200’s.
- Westview South, and Coming Soon: Manors at Ballenger, a D.R. Horton build.
- Jefferson Place coming soon: Dan Ryan Townhomes
- Jefferson Technology Park is a mixed-use community, with plans for more homes, a hotel and more office and retail space. The developers are working on a proposal that would require changes in the county’s legislation regarding mixed-use areas.
New Construction in Zip Code 21702
- Clover Ridge – Drees and Dan Ryan are building single-family homes.
- Keystone Builders is building single-families and towns in Kellerton, located about three miles out on Yellow Springs Road.
- Rocky Springs Preserve Keystone Single-Family Homes: (4 lots available)
- Tuscarora Creek
- Dan Ryan: Tuscarora Creek Single Family Homes: $ for $
- Dan Ryan: Tuscarora Creek Townhomes: (4th floor loft)
- Dream Finders Single-Family Homes: starting at $359,990 (Ariff Cassim) Incentives: $5K credit, 7.5K with their preferred lender. Rear entry garage, 9 ft. all 3 levels.
New Construction in Zip Code 21701
- Towns at Maxwell Square – Completed mid-2016.
- Worman’s Mill – Wormald is building Wellington Villas
- Market Square – Dan Ryan is building townhomes
- Canterbury Square – Parkwood Homes. UPDATE April 2020 – Excavation is underway!
- Eastchurch – A new community by KB Home, Wormald, and Richmond American Homes, on East Church Street. Single-family, towns and condos.
New Construction in 21754 Oakdale
Ryan Homes: Oakdale Village Townhome Condos: Oakdale Village Townhome Condos Condos for Sale
The Preserves at Long Branch: D.R. Horton Single Families Spec homes. Finished basement included.
New Construction in 21770 Landsdale
- Ryan Homes: Single-Family Homes. Incentives: Finished Rec Room
- Wormald: Single Family Homes: Modern Farmhouse (Lisa Stuart) Completed Rec Room, Closing cost assistance with 6 approved lenders
- NV Homes: Townhomes
- Winchester Homes Single Family (11 fot ceilings)
- Winchester Homes Towns (4 levels, 2400 sq.ft.)
- Winchester Homes Towns (3 levels)
New Construction in 21716 – Brunswick Crossing
- Ryan Homes Single Family Main-level Owner’s Suite Homes
- Dan Ryan Single Family Homes
New Construction in 21755 – Jefferson
Woodbourne Manor Ryan Homes: Single-family Main-Level Owner’s Suite Homes
New Homes in 21774 – New Market and Lake Linganore
- Ryan Homes: Lake Linganore Oakdale Elevator Condos:
- Ryan Homes: Lake Linganore Woodridge Singles: (Main-Level Owner’s Suite Homes)
- Ryan Homes: Lake Linganore Hamptons Townhomes (Coming Spring 2020)
- NV Homes: Lake Linganore Oakdale Single-Family Homes: Options for lofts, ground-floor guest suites
- NV Homes: Lake Linganore Woodridge Luxury Single-Family Homes: Coming Soon
- Ryan Legacy Towns
- Miller and Smith at Aspen North: Single-family
- Royal Oaks – Ryan Legacy Single Families
New Construction in 21793 – Walkersville
- Spring View Estates: Ryan Homes Single Family with Main-Level Owner’s Suite Homes
- Longley Green: Dan Ryan Townhomes 11 left as of Feb: Incentives: $ amount spent gets $ amount back…it’s a flex item
- Parkside at Walkersville: Dan Ryan Single family homes
Custom Home Builders in Frederick County
- Green-Living Homes. 100 customizable plans. Modular or traditional. Energy Efficient. Universal/Aging in Place design. http://www.green-livinghomes.com/
- Wormald Custom Homes: https://wormald.com/custom-homes/
- Hemby Custom Homes: http://www.hembycustomhomes.com/
- Lancaster Craftsmen Builders: https://lancasterbuilders.com/
- South Mountain Builders: https://southmountainbuilders.com/
- Cordell Custom Homes: http://www.cordellcustomhomes.com/
- JT custom Builders: http://jtcustombuilders.com/
- C.E. Rensberger Family Builders: https://cerensbergerbuilder.com/
- Hurd Builders, LLC https://hurdbuilders.com/
Buyer Representation for New Homes
Did you know, when purchasing new home construction, buyers can have their own buyer representation? The real estate agent at the builder’s model home is the seller’s agent for the builder, representing the interest of the builder.
As a buyer, there are advantages to having your own buyer’s agent to represent your interests. Most builders, but not all, have built-in costs that cover the Realtor’s commission, and are happy to work with real estate agents.
- In most cases, the cost to the buyer is zero, so why not have representation?
- Realtors who have experience with new construction know the questions to ask along all the phases of the build.
- The buyer’s agent can help you interpret and understand the contract.
- The Realtor can do a non-biased market analysis, one important and often overlooked item in new construction. Tip: Someone purchasing new construction needs to be dedicated to staying in the neighborhood for 2-4 years after the builder closes out, especially if the new buyer only puts 10% or less down. The builder basically controls the value of the home until the neighborhood is closed out.
- Many things are negotiable, whether the builder offers or not. Using an experienced buyer’s agent can be a benefit in any negotiations. Agents negotiate every day as a part of their job. How often do home buyers engage in negotiations?
- Market conditions greatly dictate a builder’s incentive to make deals. A buyer’s agent can help you know when market conditions are right for these benefits.
NOTE: If you would like buyer representation when considering new home construction, you must either register WITH your Realtor® or have your agent call ahead and register with you at the new home center. Most new home builders are happy to work with real estate agents, considering them a valuable partner in the process.
Great Questions to Ask When Buying New Construction, by Jeff Nelson of IXL Real Estate – Eastern Shore, Alabama
The Benefits of Buying New Construction, via Chris Highland
Why Have a Buyer’s Agent When Buying New Construction – by Bill Gassett, Metrowest Massachusetts Realtor®
Different States, Different Laws
In Maryland, laws concerning real estate licensing require that sales agents for new home builders have a Maryland real estate license, as of Oct. 1, 2007. (There are some exemptions for custom home builders.) Maryland is a consumer advocacy state. Issues of Agency Representation are there to protect consumers in Maryland, one of the first states to enact real estate agency laws in the early 90’s.
If you choose to work with a buyer’s agent on a new construction home, make sure your agent is experienced and will work for you. Now and then we hear of agents who did nothing but pick up a check, make sure your agent is not one of them.
Contact Chris Highland for buyer’s agency on new home construction Frederick Md: 301-401-5119 – Cell