Preparing for The Home Inspection
For both buyers and sellers home inspections are an important part of the process. Sellers will want to take the time to prepare for the inspection to get the best possible outcome. Preparing your home for inspection doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. Most of the items that need to be addressed are things that homeowners typically take care of on a recurring basis. Pillar To Post, a home inspection company, has put together a list of things a seller can do to help things go smoothly: Preparing for The Home Inspection :
Once the inspection is scheduled, sellers should plan to spend the week before the appointment getting the home ready. The most important items that should be addressed prior to the inspection include:
- Clearing all walkways of debris and obstacles so the inspector can easily move around.
- Providing clear access to the attic hatch, which is often in a closet, so be sure to clear shelves, etc.
- Replacing dirty furnace filters.
- Making sure all lights and receptacles are operational. This includes changing any burnt-out light bulbs.
- Clearing a path in the basement, whether it’s finished or not, so the inspector can walk around the perimeter of the wall.
- Clean out gutters of debris.
- Replace burned out light bulbs.
- Check to see that smoke detectors work and replace batteries if needed.
- Make sure oven and stove are clean and clear of food, so the inspector can check them.
- Don’t leave laundry in the washer or dryer, they will be checked too.
- Trim trees, roots and bushes back from the foundation, roof, siding and chimney.
- Making sure there is access to any mechanical items, such as the furnace, air conditioner and water heater.
- Sellers should also consider printing out paperwork that documents any recent service in order to eliminate any mechanical issues.
- Not only will taking the time to prepare your home for an inspection be worth it in the long run, it will give buyers peace of mind.
A little preparation is all it takes to make sure you have a smooth home inspection. for a list of recommended Home Inspectors.
The Highland Group
Chris & Karen Highland
Text Us: 301-401-5119