Table of Contents
A Realtor’s Guide to Jefferson Maryland
Jefferson Maryland is located on I-340 about 8 miles west of the City of Frederick. Jefferson is an unincorporated community in Frederick County.
Jefferson is an unincorporated community, established in 1774, called New Town. The name was changed to Jefferson and it was incorporated as a town in 1831. However, a year later, in 1832, the citizens of the town decided that municipal government was unnecessary, so then, it was disincorporated.
Jefferson’s location on the main road from Frederick to Harpers Ferry brought growth, and along with it, commercial development. A local favorite today, Hemp’s Meats, was established in 1849, and is still owned by the Hemp family. Hagerstown and Frederick were linked to Jefferson in 1907 via the railway.
Jefferson Md Life
Jefferson is a small rural community, surrounded by farmland and mountain views. The Jefferson Ruritan Club is active in Jefferson, and maintains the Jefferson Md website, where residents find all the information about community events. The yearly Jefferson Ruritan Community Carnival takes place in July. Many residents participate in the Community Garden of Fox Have Farms on Poffenberger Road.
The population of Jefferson is just under 1000, with a median age of 46 higher than the median age of 38 for Maryland. The estimated household income is $84,300, higher than the Maryland median income of $72,500. The average home price in the Spring of 2015 was about $350,000. The rental market is significantly lower than state averages, most residents own homes in Jefferson.
Jefferson Public Schools
Children in Jefferson attend Valley Elementary School in Jefferson, Brunswick Middle School, and Brunswick High School.
Frederick Community College: 9 miles; Shepherd University: 16 miles; American Public University System in Charles Town: 19 miles; Hagerstown Community Colldge: 20 miles; Mount St. Mar’s University: 25 miles; Montgomery College, Rockville: 28 miles.
Commuting from Jefferson Md
Jefferson’s location on I-340 makes for an easy commute to Frederick, to Montgomery County or Washington D.C. via I-210 or to Northern Virginia via US. 15. Charles Town W.V. is a 19 mile commute on West 340.
Real Estate in Jefferson Md
- Lot Size11,325 sqftHome Size1,512 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths2 bathsYear Built1980Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size4.14 acHome Size4,302 sq ftBeds5 bedsBaths4 bathsYear Built2018Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size5.67 acHome Size1,326 sq ftBeds2 bedsBaths2 bathsYear Built2019Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size6,969 sqftHome Size1,716 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths2 bathsYear Built2019Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size7,840 sqftHome Size2,114 sq ftBeds4 bedsBaths3 bathsYear Built2019Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size6,098 sqftHome Size1,666 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths2 bathsYear Built2019Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size6,098 sqftHome Size1,823 sq ftBeds4 bedsBaths3 bathsYear Built2019Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size7,840 sqftHome Size1,566 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths2 bathsYear Built2019Days on MarketN/A
- Lot Size36,154 sqftHome Size4,238 sq ftBeds4 bedsBaths4 bathsYear Built1994Days on MarketN/A
- Lot SizeN/AHome Size1,566 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths2 bathsYear Built2018Days on MarketN/A
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 12/16/2018)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
Chris Highland is your Jefferson Maryland Real Estate Expert. Contact Chris for a personal tour of these Jefferson homes for sale. Learn about our high tech high touch listing plan for your Jefferson home.
Photo Credit: Chris White on Wintercenter.homestead
Jefferson Parks and Recreation
Nearby State Parks: Gambrill State Park in Middletown, Gathland State Park in Burkittsville, Greenbrier State Park in Boonsboro, Monocacy National Battlefield in Frederick, B & O Canal National Park, Sugarloaf Mountain Park in Dickerson.
Along the Potomac river, you’ll find campgrouns like Bald Eagle Island Campground, Brunswick Family Campground, and the town of Brunswick Campsite. Harpers Ferry Adventure Center is across the river in Virginia, as well as Harpers Ferry Campground and Harpers Ferry exhibits and museum and historical site.
Catoctin Creek Park and Nature Center has lots of activities for children and nature lovers of all ages. There are evening campfires with lessons on the various night time insects and creatures. Stories and games for campers to educate and delight. Take night hikes, bug patrols and butterfly counts with the local 4-H chapter.