Today is the first day of summer and there are lots of things to do with family in Frederick this summer. Let’s start with just 10:
The Great Outdoors
- Go Outdoors. Hike, walk, or stroll in any of Frederick County’s beautiful parks. Swim, sunbathe or fish in any of our parks or pools. You can find lots of activities in the Frederick County Recreater and the Frederick City Parks and Recreation Guide.- Baker Park Pool, 301-663-5666,
– Diggs Memorial Pool, 301-600-6364,
– Hood College Pool, 301-696-3484,
– Brunswick Pool – 301-834-7567Frederick has several city parks, including Baker Park, which has several ball fields, tennis courts, a city pool, playgrounds and picnic areas. An amphitheater is the location of summer concerts and outdoor theater.Frederick is close to several state parks: Cunningham Falls State Park, South Mountain State Battlefield, and Gathland, Greenbrier (with its 42-acre man-made lake and beach), and Gambrill State Parks.National parks include Monocacy National Battlefield, Catoctin Mountain Park, Applalachian National Scenic Trail, the C & O Canal, (check out the C & O Canal Bicycling Guide) and Antietam National Battlefield.
Around Frederick, you can enjoy several outdoor activities:
– Frederick Bicycle Loop, a self-guided tour through the City of Frederick, download the brochure.
– Rafting, Tubing and Kayaking: River & Trail Outfitters, River Riders Inc., Harpers Ferry Adventure Center.
Eat and Shop
- Eating out and shopping are always a great combination. There are many unique restaurants and shopping venues in downtown Frederick, as well as all over town. If you like a little Frederick history mixed in, try Market Street Food Tours, running May through July.
- Go to a Keys game. The Keys are our own hometown Triple A Ball Team. They play several nights a week at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Fireworks follow what is always a good time. The Keys game schedule can be found on their website.
- Enjoy Music of all genres. There are several concert series all summer long:
– Wednesdays at Westview – Concerts on the Promenade
– Sunday Night Concerts in the Baker Park Amphitheater
– Alive @ Five – Thursday nights on Carroll Creek
- Visit the Farmers Market. There are several farmers markets around Frederick and in every town in Frederick County.
– Frederick City Market in the Old Carmack Jay parking lot at 331 N. Market Street, open Sunday’s 9 am to 11 am.
– Everedy Square & Shab Row Farmer’s Market, Thursday’s 3 to 6 pm.
– Carroll Creek Farmer’s Market, Tuesdays, 4:30 – 7:30 pm starting June 21.
– Thurmont Flea and Farmer’s Market open on Saturdays.
– I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s great!
History and Edutainment in Frederick County
- History buffs can learn at a museum. There are several museums in Frederick, where learning is fun. The Rose Hill Manor Park has several living history events for the entire family. The Civil War Medical Museum and the Frederick County History Museum have lots of events.
- Catoctin Mountain Wildlife Preserve and Zoo is always a fun and educational place. It’s a great place to have a party or book a group. They also love having volunteers.
- Family Movie Night on the Creek. On Carroll Creek in downtown Frederick, the 3rd Friday June through October. 9:00 PM – 11:30 PM. Starts June 16 with E.T., July 21 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, August 18, Shrek, September 15, 10 Things I Hate About You (starts at 8 PM) and October 20 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (starts at 7 PM)
- Summerfest Family Theater in Baker Park. One Thursday a month, 1o am, starting June 29th. See details on the Celebrate Frederick website.
- Visit the Earth & Space Science Lab at 210 Madison Street. Children and adults will enjoy planetarium shows and the arboretum.