👩💻Karen’s Epic Guide: Things to Do in Frederick Md – Summer 2018
Once school is out, vacations and relaxation are in! It’s is a beautiful time of year, with literally hundreds of fun things to do in Frederick Md this summer.
Whatever your interest, you’ll find plenty of activities in and around Frederick. History buff, sports fan, bookworm, beer and wine lover, art connoisseur (or enthusiastic appreciator, like me 💝 )… there are plenty of events.
If you’re planning a “Staycation”, looking for fun things to do to keep the kids occupied, or looking for new adventures, check out some summer fun in Frederick County for 2018:
Table of Contents
- Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer …
- 🏞The Great Outdoors
- 🎨The Arts in Frederick
- 👨🎓Continuing Education for Adults
- 🚸Continuing Learning for Children
- ⛹🏽♂️Summer Camps in Frederick County
- ⚽Frederick Sports
- 🏊🏾Community Swimming Pools:
- 👔Summer Jobs
- 🛍Summer Flea Markets in and Around Frederick
- 🔔Frederick County History Buff
- 🎭Theatre in Frederick
- 🎶Frederick Music Lovers
- 🌮For Frederick Foodies
- 🍷The Frederick Wine Trail
- 👪For Kids of All Ages
- 📚Frederick Public Library
- 🏙Downtown Frederick Events
- 🇺🇸Independence Day Celebrations in Frederick County
- 🏡Search for Homes for Sale in Frederick County
- 📖Related Reading:
🏞The Great Outdoors
Central Maryland is a beautiful area of the Mid-Atlantic region. There are a number of local, State and National parks in and around Frederick County. You can enjoy nature hikes, wildlife, swimming, canoes and kayaks, white-water rafting, biking and discovery classes.
Town & City Parks:
City of Frederick Parks & Recreation, there are always events coordinated by the city parks and recreation department. You can pick up a copy of the brochure, have one mailed to you, or view the online brochure.
County Parks: Frederick County Parks & Recreation, the county parks and recreation department has a long list of activities for all ages. The same goes for the brochure, The Recreator.
State Parks – All Within 20 minutes of Frederick:
- Cunningham Falls State Park & Hunting Creek Lake, in the Catoctin Mountains, with swimming and non-motored boating, fishing, hiking and canoeing. Campsites and camper cabins for rent. Hunting and horseback riding are both permitted within certain areas. There are nine hiking trails, including the trail to the beautiful Cunningham Falls.
- Gambrill State Park is well known for High Knob, three stone overlooks that offer stunning views of the Frederick and Middletown Valleys, and the mountains beyond. The High Knob area also offers wooded picnic areas, picnic shelters, campgrounds, fishing and a lodge, called the Tea Room which can be rented for events. 1-888-432-2267.
- Gathland State Park, once the mountain home of George Alfred Townsend, a Civil War journalist. There is a Civil War museum on site, camping and picnic pavilion for rent, 1-888-432-CAMP. The Appalachian Trail passes through the state park.
- Greenbrier State Park has a 42-acre man-made lake, with swimming, canoeing, boating (electric trolling motors) hiking, picnicking, fishing and playground. Four pavilions for rent, 165 Campsites. There is a connector trail to The Appalachian Trail.
- South Mountain State Park, for avid hikers, South Mountain features several scenic vistas, including High Rock, Black Rock, Annapolis Rock, White Rock and Weaverton Cliffs. It includes two hunting areas.
- Washington Monument State Park, at the top of South Mountain, the site of the first monument dedicated to George Washington, with a museum. Most of the hiking trails are part of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. Camping, picnic sites, pavilions for rent, South Mountain State Battlefield.
- The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, a 2,180+ mile long public footpath, with several miles running through the state parks above.
- Monocacy National Battlefield, commemorating the battle that saved Washington D.C. There are six trails, twilight hikes, and lots of educational events throughout the year.
- Catoctin Mountain Park, hiking, camping, lodging, special programs and events. Educational opportunities for children.
- C&O Canal National Park, public boat rides, visitor center, camping, hiking and biking trails and special events. 184.5 miles of trail that preserves America’s transportation history.
- C&O Bicycle Guide has a map and suggested sites. C&O Canal Towpath is a great resource for news and interesting stops along the way, and places to stay.
In and Around Frederick:
- Frederick Bicycle Loop, a self-guided tour through the City of Frederick, download the brochure.
- Ropes course, zipline and canopy tour, corporate retreats and group activities: Upward Enterprises, in Adamstown, MD.
- Rafting, Tubing and Kayaking, and Ziplines, along the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers: River & Trail Outfitters, River Riders Inc., Harpers Ferry Adventure Center.
- Catoctin Wildlife Preserve & Zoo, open 9-6 daily all summer. Birthday parties, group events, and volunteer programs.
- Backyard Inflatables, great for outdoor parties.
- The Frederick Tourism Events Page has a chronological list of events throughout the county.
🎨The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Center: Classes & Exhibits
- June is for Art Lovers! From First Saturday, the Frederick Art Festival and many activities throughout the month.
- Barnstormers Tour, June 9, 10 am to 4 pm. A tour of several barns of Frederick and surrounding area, observe painters at tour locations, followed by an art show and sale, with food and entertainment, afterward at a host farm. Details at Frederick County Landmarks website.
- Many local galleries have fresh new exhibits throughout the summer.
- There are a number of classes and events at the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center this summer. Also, drop in art activities for all ages. First Saturdays.
👨🎓Continuing Education for Adults
Continuing education and personal enrichment classes @ Frederick Community College
Frederick County Recreation Classes, Sports, fitness and nutrition, cooking classes, and more for adults. You can see all events, locations and fees and information…and get discount tickets to area amusement parks through the Recreator.
City of Frederick Recreation Classes, classes, hobbies, sports and more for adults.
🚸Continuing Learning for Children
Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center, art classes and camps for children.
City of Frederick Recreation, information on pools, swimming lessons, day camps, sports, classes and more.
Earth & Space Science Lab, 210 Madison St.
- Planetarium Shows
- Summer Camps
⛹🏽♂️Summer Camps in Frederick County
- YMCA Summer Camps
- FCC Kids on Campus, Camps for kids age 4 to 15.
- The Kitchen Studio, Camps are available for kids, ages 8-17, at various times throughout the summer.
- 24-7 Dance Studio Summer Classes
- Skate Frederick Learn to Skate Summer Camp, Hockey Summer Camp
- Frederick 4H Camp
- Frederick Indoor Sports, Summer Camps with professional athletes
- Bar-T Summer Camp, K through 8th grade.
- Frederick Regional Youth Orchestra Summer Music Camp
- Act 2 summer Theatre Summer Productions
- Rose Hill Manor Children’s Museum, Civil War Living History Day, Thrashing Days, World War II Weekend.
- Mar-Lu-Ridge Camp & Retreat Center, beautiful setting in the Catoctin Mountains.
- Skycroft Adventure Camp, camps for children, teens, adults and families
- MET Summer Fun Camp, 2017 Fun Camp
- Frederick Children’s Chorus Summer Camps
- New Spire Arts Summer Camp and Workshops.
- Adventure Park USA Summer Camps, Family Fun Fridays
- School of Rock Music Day Camp
- Luna Aerial Dance and Performing Arts. Introduction to Pole, Beginner Aerial, Beginner Trapeze and Lyra. For adults too!
- Keys Baseball, Keep up with events on the Keys Facebook Page
- Frederick Soccer Club Summer Camp
- Frederick Gymnastics Club Summer Schedule
- Frederick County Basketball Camps
- Hood College Summer sports and Swimming Lessons
- Tennis Courts in Frederick
- Frederick Sports Leagues Listings on Frederick.com
- Youth Baseball: Frederick American Little League, East Frederick Little League, Frederick Challenger Little League,Urbana Baseball & Softball, LOUYAA Linganore, Oakdale and Urbana, Brunswick Little League & Softball, Mountain Valley Baseball Middletown, Myersville, and Wolfesville, Glade Valley Baseball Walkersville
- Frederick Youth Soccer League
- Clustered Spires Junior Golf
- Whiskey Creek Junior Golf Camp
- Frederick Golf Club
- Skate Frederick, public skating, lessons, camps, ice hockey, figure skating
- Potomac Valley Youth Association (Brunswick) Soccer camp, golf program, summer swimming
- Local Recreation Councils:
- Urbana Recreation Council, serves Urbana, Ijamsville and surrounding area. Youth programs for baseball, basketball, cheer, cub scouts, field hockey, football, lacrosse, poms, softball, and wrestling.
- Middletown Recreation Council, activities for all ages, all seasons
- Libertytown Recreation Council, summer baseball, winter basketball
- Woodsboro/New Midway Recreation Council
🏊🏾Community Swimming Pools:
open from Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Baker Park Pool, 301-663-5666,
- Diggs Memorial Pool, 301-600-6364,
- Hood College Pool, 301-696-3484,
- Brunswick Pool – 301-834-7567,
- Emmitsburg Pool – 301-447-9820 – Grand Opening – June 2nd.
🛍Summer Flea Markets in and Around Frederick
- Thurmont Flea and Farmer’s Market open on Saturdays.
- Feagaville Indoor Flea Market (301) 473-7603, every Friday and Saturday, Rt. 180
- Harpers Ferry Gypsy Market, 154 Wolfcraft Way, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Yard Sale & Garage Sale Search This is a nice site to find out about local yard sales and to post your own yard sale or garage sale.
🔔Frederick County History Buff
- Research Your Family Roots @ The Historical Society of Frederick County
- MD Scenic Byways Map OR get a copy @ The Frederick Visitor Center, 151 S. East Street
- Civil War Medicine Museum, various lectures and presentations
- Frederick Tourism – Group Tours, Murder & Mayhem & Weekend Walking Tours
- Historical Society of Frederick County – Walking Tours of Historic Frederick, Civil War Walking Tours, Art & Architecture Walking Tours, Black History Walking Tours, Drunk & Disorderly
- Brunswick Railroad Museum
- Maryland Civil War Trails, biking trails, and lots of scenic trips throughout Maryland
- Harpers Ferry, Living History Weekends, Historic Trades Workshops, Cultural and Natural Resources programs
- Gettysburg National Battlefield, they have a full schedule of summer programs
- Covered Bridges of Frederick County Driving Tour, Bring Your Camera!
- Historic Architectural Houses of Frederick, call to schedule tours
- National Register of Historic Places, Frederick County Locations
- 12th Annual Barnstormers Tour, throughout Frederick County, June 9th.
- Schifferstadt French and Indian War Encampment Frontier Day
🎭Theatre in Frederick
Way Off Broadway Children’s Theatre Saturday and 2nd and 4th Sunday performances.
Summerfest Family Theater in Baker Park, 10 am on Thursdays
Annual Frederick Film Festival, at the Weinberg
Starlight Family Film Festival, from FCPL, at the Natelli Community Center in Urbana,
🎶Frederick Music Lovers
Spring Catoctin Mountain Music & Dance Weekend, June 15 – 17.
Alive @ Five @ Carroll Creek Amphitheater, Thursdays, 5 – 8 pm.
Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, May through August.
Sky Stage Live Music Series, Recurring Monthly on the First Saturday until Sept. 1st. See the Sky Stage website for all the activities.
Dueling Pianos Under the Stars, Downtown Frederick, The Faux School, Frederick, MD 21701, Saturday, June 16, 2018 • 7:00 – 10:00 PM, Carroll Creek Amphitheater. Tickets.
Frederick Jazz Festival. Saturday, June 30, 12:00 PM – 7 PM. non-stop Jazz at Carroll Creek Amphitheater downtown. Online Tickets ($30) tickets will be $35 each at the door.
🌮For Frederick Foodies
South Mountain Creamery, if you need an excuse to go get some ice cream, June is National Dairy Month. It’s a patriotic thing to do!
Farmer’s Market at the Frederick Fairgrounds on Saturdays; City Market at the old Carmack Jay Parking lot downtown, between 4th and 5th Streets; Everedy and Shab Row Farmer’s Market on Thursday afternoons; Carroll Creek Farmer’s Market, Tuesdays, 4:30 – 7:30.
Minolea Organic Farm Market – Adamstown
England Acres Farm – Mt. Airy
The Kitchen Studio Cooking School has cooking lessons for both children AND Adults!
🍷The Frederick Wine Trail
Maryland Wine Trail, local wineries have music, festivals, tastings, and many other events during the summer.
- Summer Festivals, live music and events at Local Vineyards: Elk Run, Linganore Winery, Catoctin Breeze Vineyard
- 3rd Annual Frederick Wine Festival. June 9, Carroll Creek 12 noon to 3 pm and 4 to 7 pm. $40 Tickets.
Related Reading: A Frederick County Wine Country Day Trip
Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer…
👪For Kids of All Ages
- Walkersville Southern Railroad, Jesse James Day, Civil War Reenactors, Fathers Day Special, Star-Spangled Fireworks Special, Super Hero Picnic, Teddy Bear Picnic, and more.
- Children’s History Hour, for preschoolers, 1st and 3d Tuesday each month. Frederick County History Museum, 24 E. Church St.
- The EventPlex @ Frederick Fairgrounds, lots of fun things to do in Frederick Md this summer, Mexican Rodeo, Cirque Italia, Peruvian and Latin Festival, Western Maryland Reptile Show and more.
- Adventure Park USA, Family Fun Fridays, Super Saturdays
- Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo, host an event, book a group
- Deer Crossing Rec Center 301-865-1769
- Fountain Rock Rec Center 301-898-1460
- Frederick City Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Middletown Rec Center 240-566-0222
- Oakdale Rec Center 301-600-1359
- Tuscarora Rec Center 240-566-0025
- Rose Hill Manor Children’s Museum 301-600-1646
Community Swimming Pools:
- Baker Park Pool, 301-663-5666,
- Diggs Memorial Pool, 301-600-6364,
- Hood College Pool, 301-696-3484,
- Brunswick Pool – 301-834-7567,
- Emmitsburg Pool, 301-447-9820 – Grand Re-Opening!
📚Frederick Public Library
- FCPL Summer Featured Programs
- Storyland Storytime
- Babies with Books
- Summer Challenge
- Discover Space
- Music and Movies
- STEM program
- Visits from Children’s Book Characters
- Music on the Deck
- Demonstrations and Learning events
- and hundreds of more activities
🏙Downtown Frederick Events
See the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website:
- Alive @ Five – Happy Hour with live music, local food and drink, adults only. Carroll Creek Park Amphitheater, Thursdays, from 5 to 8 pm.
- Candlelight Ghost Tours – Frederick Walking Tour
- Guided Walking Tours – Art & Architecture of Frederick, African American History, Civil War Walking Tours, Historic Frederick Walking
- Free Movie Night on the Creek: Starts June 15 with Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, July 20 Jaws, August 17, The Lego Movie, September 21, School of Rock (starts at 8 PM) and October 19 Nightmare Before Christmas (starts at 7 PM)
First Saturdays in Historic District Frederick:
- June – I Art Frederick
- July – Stars & Stripes
- August – Art Attack!
- September — Get it Downtown
🇺🇸Independence Day Celebrations in Frederick County
- Frederick’s 4th in Baker Park – Fireworks, Food, Children’s Activities, two stages of entertainment, from noon to dusk.
- Independence Day Celebration, Middletown Community Park, June 30, 12 pm until 9:30 pm fireworks.
- Mt. Airy Fireworks, July 3rd. 1008 Twin Arch Rd
- Walkersville Carnival, July 2nd – 7th. Fireworks Display on July 3rd, 10 pm.
- Emmitsburg Community Heritage Day June 30th
- Preservation Maryland has a list of Independence Day Celebrations throughout the state of Maryland.
In the Street, Sept. 8, a Festival held in the streets of downtown Frederick every year.
Comments Welcome! If I’ve missed any Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer you know about… please share!
🏡Search for Homes for Sale in Frederick County
- Ten Things To Love About Frederick Md
- Ten Things to Do in Historic Downtown Frederick
- A Day in Frederick Md