How to Make a Small Room Look Larger
Most people have one: that room in the house that they wish was just a little larger. What they may not realize is that with a little work and some TLC, they could have exactly what they’re looking for. Here are 10 ways to make a room look larger, from Lowe’s designer tricks:
10 Ways to Make A Room Look Larger
1. For the illusion of a larger room, use a color scheme that is light rather than bright or dark. Pastels, neutrals and white are all color possibilities. Grey is the favorite neutral of decorators today. Grey can be a great transitional color and goes well with any style of decor.
2. Use a monochromatic color scheme on the furniture, rugs and walls. Select different shades and textures of your single color. If you feel it’s too boring, you can add pops of color with pillows, vases, flowers or candles.
3. Lighting is a key element in opening up a space. Recessed pot lighting is visually appealing and is perfect for a small space. A torchiere light is great for bouncing light off of the ceiling and back down on the room. Skylights and solar tubes are natural alternatives for adding light to a room.
4. Limit the number of accessories to avoid the cluttered feeling. Hiding wires and hardware also helps reduce clutter.
5. The floor and the ceiling are the fifth and sixth walls of every room. A light-colored flooring such as light oak or a light-colored carpet will make the room appear brighter and more open. The same applies to the ceiling—use a light color or white to “open up” the space above.
6. Increase the appearance of the size of the room by adding wall mirrors.
7. Don’t place too many pieces of furniture in a small space.
A love seat may work better than a full-size sofa depending on the size and shape of the room. Add two medium-sized chairs or two small wood chairs. Place the chairs closer to the wall and then pull them into the area when additional seating is needed. Keep your furniture small in scale whenever possible.
8. Add paintings or prints to the walls. One large painting works better than a group of small paintings, with a less cluttered feel.
9. The visual balance of a room is also important. A large, brightly colored element can overwhelm a room and decrease the appearance of space.
10. A glass table, whether it is a dining, coffee or end table, will keep the appearance of an open and free space.
Republished with permission from Lowes, — 10 ways to make a room look larger
For more how-to project ideas, visit Lowe’s How-To Library at http://www.lowes.com/cd_How+To+Library_615580068_.
| Chris Highland |
Frederick, Md 21701